My photo
two-two-niine, Georgia, United States
i never thought it would be hard to fit a nut into a nutshell, but here's a go at what i'm about. foremost, i know, love and follow the Lord. i'm a wild card. i enjoy being alone as much as i enjoy other people. i eat up anything art-related. i'm an only child. i have a BBA in Marketing & an AA in Fine Arts. i'm the marketing and PR gal for Stewbos group, a job i truly love. i do this part-time, and the rest of the time i'm a stay at home wife/mama to Justin and Vayda. i itch to travel and i delight at learning new things. you'll find i'm neurotic, intellectual, honest and somewhat naive. i'm open and compassionate, yet paradoxically hard on myself. my biggest fear is succumbing to cynicism, and my greatest joy is experiencing growth. my idol is willy wonka, because i never want to grow up. i sing and dance my way through the day. I believe the best ones are full of giggles. i think blogging is rather self-indulgent. writing about my thoughts feels selfish, yet i enjoy the exploration it brings. thanks for stopping by.

Thursday, November 29, 2007

if i were a preacher, i'd start with this sermon.

written: Tuesday, July 31, 2007


Some of you may know i fasted from the computer for a few days.
i intended on doing it a bit longer, but i've come up with a bit of an alternate plan, which I'd like to share:

ok, so it's a pretty proven fact among man, that when one deprives himself of
something, he craves it that much more. (And, of course, kyle starts telling me
about all these awesome computer codes THE VERY DAY i start my fast--haha!)
Well, instead of me just cutting the computer out completely for a week, I'm going to minimize the time I spend on it for (duh--duh--duh....) FOREVER!!

The whole MySpace/Facebook thing is awesome. I love keeping in touch with people who are those "well, sorda" friends who I always talk about wanting to hang out with but never do.

But all God reasons aside, reality kind of hit me. I read a book in high school & again in college, when doing am in-depth research paper, called Amusing Ourselves to Death by Neil Postman. My favorite high school English teacher had a remarkable understanding of the book, and it really influenced me to think the way he & the book explained.
When the book was written, our society was ruled by Television Entertainment, and now, the same can be said about computers. The more we sit in front of a screen, the more we isolate ourselves from the world around us.

Sometimes our sole means of communication comes from an Instant Messanger or from MySpace comments. I mean, people start DATING through Online Dating websites, and--sorry if I offend--that's just absurd. Not to mention, the speed of transmission that technology brings makes the people of today's world feel a necessity to have everything NOW.

The world we live in is so fast paced.
We can't fathom having to find the right groove in the record in which to stick the needle to listen to our favorite songs.
Stamps will soon be obsolete when no one sends letters anymore.
We wonder why it takes five days for our EBay shipment to come in (i mean, i ORDERED it three hours ago--hurry it up!).
I remember when it was cool to have your own phone line at your house, but now all kindergarten kids want their own cell phone.
(Who will they call? SANTA?)
And I won't even dare mentioning a horse & buggy,
or a typewriter,
or cooking in the fireplace.

Our world is BLESSED with all this technology, but we abuse it. I am number one on the list of the guilty, but I really feel that it is time in my life to slow down. The whole world should slow down before the Protac and Zantex turn into the new Tylenol (oh wait...).
It is my opinion that this misuse of techonology is the source of most problems. From a spiritual standpoint, all the hustle and bustle has gotten so loud that it's hard to hear God anymore. Even the most devout Christians have trouble with seeking patience in waiting for the Lord to answer.
"Lord, I want my cancer cured NOW"
"God, I need help with my money situation NOW."
"Show me the path NOW, God."
which turns into...
"Why aren't you listening, God?"
"God, what am I doing wrong?"
"God, do you even exist?"

We treat God like he's a grocery scanner.
We put all the things we want onto the moving belt and then expect to scan
& bag all that up and take it home right away. Does that make sense?
I'm not trying to preach. I just see this mistake being made in my own life.
There are so many seemingly innocent villains in this world sucking the very life out of us. Technology is great, as long as it is used in controlled, moderate ways of which we can be constantly aware.

I say all this to say, I will still be on MySpace/Facebook and all that jazz, but not as excessively or frequently, and in a more conscious way.

Thanks for reading!

No comments: