My photo
two-two-niine, Georgia, United States
i never thought it would be hard to fit a nut into a nutshell, but here's a go at what i'm about. foremost, i know, love and follow the Lord. i'm a wild card. i enjoy being alone as much as i enjoy other people. i eat up anything art-related. i'm an only child. i have a BBA in Marketing & an AA in Fine Arts. i'm the marketing and PR gal for Stewbos group, a job i truly love. i do this part-time, and the rest of the time i'm a stay at home wife/mama to Justin and Vayda. i itch to travel and i delight at learning new things. you'll find i'm neurotic, intellectual, honest and somewhat naive. i'm open and compassionate, yet paradoxically hard on myself. my biggest fear is succumbing to cynicism, and my greatest joy is experiencing growth. my idol is willy wonka, because i never want to grow up. i sing and dance my way through the day. I believe the best ones are full of giggles. i think blogging is rather self-indulgent. writing about my thoughts feels selfish, yet i enjoy the exploration it brings. thanks for stopping by.

Saturday, June 26, 2010

heart-shaped box

i just watched a behind the music documentary on courtney love, but the really touching segments were about kurt cobain. i was completely blown away with his perceptions that i started researching him online while i watched courtney spiral into a mess by the end of it all. i've loved kurt cobain since i started becoming interested in music. i can't tell you who first introduced me, but "nevermind" was the first album i ever recognized on store shelves because of its unusual album art. next to that would be "enema of the state" by blink-182. i always loved perusing the CD aisles as a kid.

anyway, something always touched me about kurt cobain. something always touched me about dead artists, really. jeff buckley and mama cass. i guess i'm a morbid person of sorts. death has always fascinated me. i have a mild obsession with ted bundy. i would read books on him and watch all the documentaries that featured him. that spurned a rather wild interest in serial killers that i still have. i'm so interested in their psychology and their persona. crime shows were my thing for a while, and they probably still would be if i weren't so busy.

rabbit hole. i don't really know what i'm writing about. i saw the courtney thing like two hours ago, and i can't stop thinking about it. he was just so open and honest. he was so grieved over the empathy he shared with people, and i find that shockingly relatable. i guess it shook me a little. i get so wrapped up in my emotions all the time. it's a nervous sort of depth that just makes you want to be shallow like everyone else seems to find so easy. it's fun to feign being consumed with all of this triviality as if i'm not constantly analyzing and feeling through every nuance.

i've met three people in the course of this life that have truly known and understood the core of my intellect. none of those people are active in my life anymore. i'm not saying i have some untouchably deep intellect. i'm just saying that not many people like to expose themselves in such a vulnerable way. getting deeply intellectual is intimidating for some people, but it feeds me in this unparalleled manner. i hope there are people in my future who can meet me in that place. i guess listening to kurt cobain's unbelievable views just pour out to any and everyone made me feel jealous i hadn't known him. i'd have felt so privileged to even converse with him once about some of the things he said.

it seems like even in the time that has passed in the ten some-odd years it's been since he died that the overhaul of communication between people has taken away so much of the depth with which they interact. critical thinking has become a novelty, because of all the working technology does for us. there's so much apathy and such a lack of care in which we handle relationships. it's pretty depressing, really. and i'm such a product of technology. it really disgusts me. i want to escape, but it's so much a part of my thinking and my interactions that i don't know how to stop. how can i become more personal again? how can i achieve the depth i want to have intellectually in such a trivial world? i wonder how many people feel the same way i do. i wonder how many people notice.

1 comment:

lullabelle69 said...

I have to say~I love Kurt Cobain and always have.I love Courtney Love even tho she has become a hot mess. You remind me sometimes of myself before I got married and had kids. I also have some kind of morbid fascination with serial killers and will peruse CrimeTV.com and read the cases they have on there. As a teenager I read biographies on many serial killers not to mention watched documentaries and made for tv movies.